Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Same, But Still So Different

Being almost 34 weeks along with this pregnancy I've noticed a lot of similarities with my pregnancy with Weston and this one... but I can't help but think of how different it is this time around.  I've always heard it said that there is a huge difference in pregnancies depending on if you're having a boy or a girl... so I assumed this time around it would be pretty much the same. Wrong. This pregnancy has been quite a bit different. Granted my life is quite a bit different than it was when I was pregnant with Weston.  I'm sure chasing after a 2 1/2 year old has to play a part in the differences between the two pregnancies.
 
Just so I can remember the two pregnancies (it hasn't even been three years and I've already forgotten so much of my pregnancy with Weston), I've decided to jot down a few of the similarities and a few of the differences...
 
Same:
  • Morning sickness lasted the same length of time - around 13 weeks
  • Super exhaustion in the first trimester
  • I've had sciatic pain both times
  • Insomnia for both the first trimester and third trimester
  • Unfortunately I've gained about the same amount of weight (guhhhhh...)
  • Both times I've averaged two bathroom trips a night
  • Feeling like a giant whale all day - everyday.
  • Haven't really had any major cravings with either one.
  • At awe of every movement these little men make inside my belly
  •  
Different:
  • Baby belly pouch started much sooner - like at least 5 weeks sooner
  • This little man moves MUCH more
  • The "morning sickness" (aka all day sickness) was much more severe this time.
  • The sciatic pain this time around was a hundred times worse - and lasted much longer.
  • The first time I was insanely swollen - and it started around 28 weeks. So far, no swelling (yet)!
  • I had to go to the bathroom a lot more with my first pregnancy... even though I'm pretty sure I'm drinking more water this time around.
  • I'm carrying higher this time, so although I've gained the same amount of weight my clothes seem to fit better.
  • Much less stress this time around - no house to buy, no packing and moving, no car shopping, nada...
I can't say that I've been quite as cheery with this pregnancy as I was my last one. I guess you could say that my rose colored glasses have faded a bit this time around. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy being pregnant - even the getting huge and being uncomfortable parts.  But last time I had the advantage of being blissfully unaware of what was coming - what the next step was. This time around I'm fully aware of what each new stage holds - the good and the bad. And so I think this knowledge has tainted the experience a bit for me... just a bit.
 
And yet, through all of it I am still just overjoyed, and feeling very blessed, to be experiencing it all again. Even during times of doubt - when I'm thinking I'm not sure how we're going to manage two kids (physically, mentally, financially, etc) - I still can't help but be filled with peace knowing this is exactly what is supposed to be happening for our little family right now.
 
Only a few short weeks left til we get to meet the next little addition to our family - and unlike with Weston, we are actually pretty stinkin' prepared for the arrival this time! ;)
Week 33

1 comment:

  1. My pregnancies were completely opposite of each other. My pregnancy with Madelyn gave me a false impression of what pregnancy was like. Beautiful glowing skin, no morning sickness, lots of energy, no swelling, no cravings, etc. With Macy I was sick the entire 1st semester throwing up all day, my skin was greasy and gross, I was tired all the time (granted I was also chasing after a 2 year old), I developed skin discolorations on my face, I was swollen and fat and got a varicose vein! Yea, if that had been my first experience I probably would have only had one kid. Lol! Hang in there sister, you look great and you are coming down the homestretch now. I can't wait to meet little "Harrison!" =)

    ReplyDelete