Monday, May 20, 2013

On Motherhood {A Belated Mother's Day Post}

I've learned that in motherhood not every moment is pure bliss, and I'm certainly not rejoicing while sweeping underneath the chairs for what seems to be the 50th time that day, or picking up blocks that have been scattered throughout the house. Nor am I jumping for joy about damages done when little man is left to his own devices when I'm feeding the baby, or when little bodies go into rigor mortis while I'm trying to put them in the car seat (and always in front of other people, of course). Yet these things are quickly forgotten when a tiny hand brushes my cheek, sweet lips give me a kiss, little arms reach up to me, or when I hear a tiny voice call out "mommy". My payment comes in smooshed flowers picked from the side of the road and eagerly handed to me,  a sweet little voice whispering "love you too Mommy", and a little hand placed in mine. I know that these moments are fleeting, and one day, when my home is empty, I will wish for just one more smooshed flower, one more little hand print on the glass, and a little less quiet. I LOVE being a mom, and more importantly, I enjoy it. enjoy life quote | simplykierste.com
   And as much as people may say that mother’s day is about celebrating moms…I always feel that it’s equally about celebrating what made me a mom…it’s remembering the children…our living breathing joy!
 These boys have given me such a deep sense of  purpose and meaning in my life. When I look at them I know exactly why I'm here and I am reassured that I'm doing exactly what I should be doing.
Being a mom has required me to use every skill, talent, and bit of knowledge I possess - and when I inevitably fall short of knowing what to do, I can always rely on my own mother to be there to help.
 
Now that I'm a mother I find myself in awe of all the things my mother did for me and taught me while I was growing up - and for all the things she continues to do for me. She taught me to love, to give, how to be a mother, how to cook, how to garden, how to clean,  how to be forgiving, to have faith, how to work hard, to put family first, and so much else.
 
I know that motherhood is not easy, but she made it look effortless. She worked full time, but I never remember a time when she wasn't available when I needed her. She made sure to never start work until after I left for school and most days she was home by the time I was out of school. She then didn't rest and headed right into making dinner, doing yard work, and keeping up with the house. Not to mention helping with home work, playing through all of my choir music with me, and indulging all of my over the top ideas for school projects. She'd wake up at 5am to make me breakfast before practice and stay up late sewing flags and costumes. She was constantly serving those around her and fulfilling all of her church callings.

And she continues to give of her time. She is constantly volunteering to come help me with whatever I have going on and/or watching the boys. I love that my boys will also get to learn from her and have such an amazing example of motherhood in their lives.  

This year I had double the love.  double the weeps.  double the joy.  double the highs. 
Being a mom of two amazingly sweet little boys is the greatest honor I could ever dream of. 
And while it isn't always easy, and there are moments when I find myself wishing/hoping/dreaming of an "easier" time (when there are no more changing diapers, no more sleepless nights, no more "terrible-three's" tantrums, etc) but almost as quickly as those thoughts enter my mind they are replaced with an overwhelming feeling to relish in the right now. The last three years have gone by faster than I could have ever dreamed, and since time shows no sign of slowing down (Harrison is already 7 weeks old!!! what?!?!!) I am going to cherish the moments of being a mom to small young children while they are still small and young. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Carisa, this is one of the most touching and beautifully written things I have ever read. Your mother is a wonderful example of what it is to be not only a good mom but a good person, and you have clearly mastered both of those callings as well.

    ReplyDelete