Monday, May 23, 2011

'ABC' Party Favors

We had a big family party for Weston the Saturday after his birthday over at Settler's Park, by our house. We kept things fairly simple this year, but I did insist on a few things - one being a fun gift/toy/party favor for the four little kids coming. I bought some silicone molds off Amazon a few weeks before the party. I had seen some really cool alphabet shaped food that people had made in molds - and I thought that would be perfect for an 'ABC' themed party. Once the molds arrived I thought it would be cool to make 'ABC' crayons for the kids. I then began pricing out how much it would cost to buy enough crayons to melt into the 'ABC' molds... needless to say, it would be a bit more than I would want to spend. On the silicone mold package it listed a bunch of different ways to use the molds - and on the list was chalk. So I googled how to make chalk and I found out that it was insanely simple and actually quite cheap. So off to the craft store I went. All the supplies cost about $5 and I have enough left over to make at least two more batches the same size as what I made. They are a bit time consuming since you have to let the plaster sit in the molds for a good 30 minutes before attempting to remove them, but the process is super simple. And the results: pretty darn adorable!!
Each child received about 18 pieces of chalk - and I boxed them up real cute in a bright red 'to-go' box (Honks $1 has a package of 6 for only a $1!!! Zurchers sells them for $.89 a piece... plus if you go to Honks on Tuesdays everything is only $.88 - so you can get six of them for the price of one at the party store! Score!)

I love all the bright colors. I just bought red, yellow, and blue tempera paint and then mixed them together to get all the colors I wanted.  You can't tell too much in the picture, but each color had a light and dark shade.
I love creating fun gifts that are also useful and won't end up being clutter in a child's room. My nieces used them and had a great time - and said that they worked great. I told my sister to save all the broken crayons her girls break so that we can use the molds to make crayons!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this idea sister, they came out soo cute!.....and just so you know I will most likely be stealing it in the future so you need to show me how to do it....before Macy's birthday preferably. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are unbearably cute!!!

    ReplyDelete