Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Wednesdays With Weston

What a fun - and festive week we've had. Weston is officially walking - all the time. He still occasionally crawls, but that is becoming a rare occurrence. Even when he wants to get to something really fast he will walk there instead of crawling. He has also started climbing a lot more. He can now climb onto the couch in the office. And the look on his face once he's up there is priceless. He is just so proud of himself and will just lay back and relax and watch the TV or the computer screen like he's one of the adults. Although his new found skill of climbing also means new ways to hurt himself, and he's discovered the shock of falling off the couch. Luckily, since it's low enough for him to climb up on, it's low enough to now really hurt when he falls off. Mostly it just gives us all a bit of a jump.

Speaking of climbing the other evening I was in the family room sitting on the floor playing with Weston (and also watching a documentary on the Civil War - I told you, I'm an American History nerd) and Weston walked into the front room and started playing with some of his other toys. I kept watching my show and I could hear him playing with his blocks and his learning table. Then, out of now where, I heard this blood curdling scream - like he had really hurt himself. I jump up and run into the front room... only to find that he isn't hurt - or in danger. Weston had climbed up, onto his learning table and was standing on his learning table and reaching over onto his walker. The problem came that no matter how hard he stretched he couldn't quite reach the buttons that turn on the music on his walker. That's right, he screamed the loudest/scariest blood-curdling scream because he couldn't get the music on... that, and that he probably started to realize that he didn't know how to get down off of the learning table. I didn't know if I should be mad that he had scared me as much as he had for no good reason - or to laugh at how mad he was that he couldn't get the music to play. I decided on the latter and I just kept laughing the rest of the evening.

After many failed attempts I finally managed to catch Weston walking on video. I will warn you though... he does get a bit whiny at the end. He really wanted the TV turned on and when I kept video taping instead of turning the TV on he starts to whine... that and the fact that it was his bed time.
Daddy dressed up for the 4th... and he let Weston wear his sunglasses....
And his mullet-camo hat. This is where mommy intervened. Mommy had to put her foot down so that her son didn't grow up thinking mullets and cut-off jeans are acceptable.
Weston had a fun time on the 4th. He had lots of treats - a couple long naps - played with his cousins - saw fireworks - had more treats - and got to stay up late.

Here's a video of Weston being Weston. He seems very restless these days. Now that he can walk he wants to be moving and going places all the time. So sitting down and staying still are not OK with him any more. Most of our days are spent corralling him.
Who gave this kid an Oreo?!?! =D
Watching some of the "big" kids lighting fireworks. He wasn't even phased by the big, loud ones that 'BOOMED'. Didn't even bat an eye. What a stud.
His cousins have these cute little camp chairs that are just their size. But I can't help but think that this chair makes Weston look so big and grown up. It some times takes me a moment to remember how independent he is, and to remember that he isn't all grown up... not yet.
Getting in closer to the action... our attempt at trying to keep Weston awake for a little bit longer. It didn't work very well. I think we headed home about 15 minutes later.
I think Weston has allergies... I may be wrong, but he has all the same symptoms that I have with my seasonal allergies. On Saturday he woke up with pink/purple swollen eye lids, his eyes have been watering, runny/stuffy nose, and he has a bad cough from post-nasal drainage.  Since Weston has seemed to be sicker this week than last - so Tyler went out and bought Weston a new humidifier. We had bought a fancy name-brand one a few months ago and it literally worked just long enough for us to throw away the receipt. Tyler tried to fix it, but it was just a dud. So Tyler bought an even fancier one... this one is a cool mist one (I told you, it's fancy). It seems to be helping Weston breathe better, but it does make his room sticky and stuffy (even though it is cool mist). I have learned that Weston sleeps best in dark, cool places (like potatoes... It's a good correlation - he is from Idaho, after all). Weston gets sticky and usually wakes up once during the night. We get him some milk and he goes back to sleep, but only after a half hour of coughing (I can relate... I've had many nights where I've been up all night coughing). So he has been a pretty sleep deprived little boy - even though we do our best to get him down for as many naps as possible. The poor kid just isn't sleeping well. I guess all we can do is hold him and think that next year we can give him allergy meds.

(A few notes about the picture below.
2. Weston's bumpers are missing because they are still in the wash from when he threw up a couple weeks ago. I washed it - then forgot it was in there and left it there over night. So I had to wash it again. Then I took it outside to dry since it was a nice day and forgot to bring it in before dark... then our sprinklers came on. So back in the wash it went. I know, I'm a hot mess. Anyways, it's now sitting on top of our dryer waiting to be put back in his crib but I always remember that I need to do that as I'm putting Weston down for bed - not really a good time to be doing that.
3. See how awesome our new humidifier is?! It's sweet... Good work Tyler!)
Weston still loves the water... so bath time is a really fun time. That kid loves to splash... especially his momma.
See that top tooth coming in... yeah, we're excited about it!
Also, we really do feed the kid - I don't know why his ribs are sticking out.
Weston loves music. We were watching So You Think You Can Dance and they had a musical guest, Florence and the Machine, on. Weston was instantly glued to the TV - and he stayed that way throughout the entire performance. I quickly ran and grabbed the camera and managed to catch his enthrallment on camera. Such a funny kid.

Thanks for a fun week Weston - we love you a whole bunch! And we hope you start feeling better really soon - we don't like to see you sick!

2 comments:

  1. Walking!! Oh my gosh! Good job little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quote from Owen, "I want to go to Baby Weston's house today and drive far." Apparently he thinks we should visit more often.

    ReplyDelete