Saturday, October 15, 2011

In The Kitchen...

This month Tyler and I decided that we needed to start cutting back a bit on quite a few things in our life - we are really working on paying off our debt. One main thing we started was we completely cut out any extra food expenses that we could - and that meant making all meals at home. It's gone pretty well over the last two weeks - it is hard some evenings since we both work all day and by the time we get off work and get home we are starving and the thought of then starting some big, wonderful meal sounds less than appealing. But we are trying. It also is made a bit easier when we stumble upon recipes that are both tasty and quick. So I thought I'd share with you because we all could use help when it comes to dinner time - right?!?!?!
The best part of this recipe?! How fast it all comes together! In less than 20 minutes it can go from getting ingredients out of the fridge to pulling  it out of the oven. Awesome!

Southwest Chicken Pizza
1 1/2 cups Bisquick*
1/3 cups hot water
Beat vigorously 20 strokes - turn out on floured surface. Knead until no longer sticky. Press into 13inch circle on pizza pan or onto a cookie sheet. Pinch edge forming rim
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or any cheese really - I used Mexican blend because that's what I had)
2 cups cut up cooked chicken
1/2 cup salsa
onions, pepper, olives, mushrooms, etc. (optional)
Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes.

*I didn't have any Bisquick on hand - so we made a homemade version of it. Works like a charm! Plus this recipe makes more than you'll need for one pizza - so you'll have left over mix for another crust or to make biscuits.

"Bisquick"
4 cups flour
3 Tbl. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbl. sugar
3/4 cup powdered milk
3/4 cup shortening
Stir dry ingredients together in large bowl. Cut in shortening until well blended. Store in tightly covered container in cool place.

To make biscuits mix 2 cups mix with 1/3-1/2 cup water. Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes.

I hope you like it as much as we do - let me know if you make it!

1 comment:

  1. We're doing the same thing! This has been my favorite, easy recipe that I've tried this week.

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/slow-cooker-pulled-pork/detail.aspx

    I marinaded the pork in root beer over night, then cooked it for 7 hours in the crock pot, and mixed in BBQ sauce. Yum. It makes great left overs too!

    ReplyDelete