Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Gettin' Crafty: Love Day

Over the past few years my love for Valentine's Day has increased. Since I didn't spend any money on new/more decorations for Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas this year, I decided I deserved a few dollars to bump up the Valentine's Day decor around our house. It turns out I really only needed a few dollars because I was able to use/reuse things around our house.

Last year I made one of these heart shaped wreaths. Upon cleaning up our garage this past weekend I discovered that I had bought two wreath forms last year, Score! So I dug through my fabric and pulled out the left over red felt and started cutting... and cutting and cutting. Two hours later we had this:
(I also plan on adding some Hot Tamales to those vases above...)

I broke out the white spray paint and set to work painting these dollar store frames (of which I already had). I added some scrapbook paper - which I downloaded offline for free and printed off on our awesome new printer (more on that later) and I had the perfect way to take up the large blank space above our cabinets.
While getting out the two Valentine's day decorations I already owned (the three heart candlesticks above, and the 'LOVE' sign below) I found a bag of these red crystal things. They look like that fake ice stuff, only red. They were clearly on clearance from Craft Warehouse because I removed the $1 clearance tag to find they were originally $4.99.  I cut out some 'X's' and 'O's' out of some scrap cardboard (which we had neatly stacked up during our Saturday morning garage clean out). Had to use my Tacky Glue since my glue gun has disappeared (sad!). So I had to actually use my patience and wait for the glue to dry before I could arrange them. I used skewer sticks (broke into fourths) and glued to the backs of them and then stuck those into some left over styrofoam (from the super duper printer we got for Christmas).
One of my original Valentine's day decoration paired with two dollar store ceramic birds - Love Birds.... get it?!?!? -  that I have spray painted white (they were a really ugly Terra cotta and peach combo).
I'm still working on a fun Valentine's day banner and possibly some garland... but it's already looking so festive and girly. I can tell that Tyler loves it just as much as me.. OK, not really, but I guess that just shows his true love for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment