Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Gettin' Crafty

It's been like a million years ago that Tyler went and bought us the MDF to make our headboard... yeah, that project still isn't done. Actually, I haven't even started on it. BUT... in an effort to clean up/clear out the garage I decided I needed to get my butt in gear and start working on all my projects that are taking up insane amounts of space in our garage. I started small. I decided to use up the left over MDF that won't be used for the headboard project... it's the remnant section that was cut off since the board we bought for the head board was a tad too long.

I then primed and painted the whole board with left over white paint - picked out a quote I liked (I decided to go with a short one since I had to cut out each letter individually....) - typed it up on my computer - printed it out - then traced those letters onto contact paper - then cut it out of the contact paper - stuck it onto the board the way I wanted - and painted over the top of it with yellow.  

Honestly, the yellow paint didn't turn out quite like I wanted, but it still looks good... For whatever reason - and I honestly don't know what this reason is - the yellow paint turned into 8 different shades as I painted. So the whole thing has a layered look, with lots of different shades of yellow smudged around. It's cute, but it wasn't originally the look I was going for.

Oh well, I don't hate it enough to do it all over again...

Here it is drying out in the grass:
And here it is all hung up in the house. I love how big it is (it's about 17inX48in) and how much color it now adds to the dinning room.
The total cost was about $5... and that was just for the hanging hardware to hang this heavy chunk of wood on our wall safely (you know, so say if when a two year old starts banging on the wall it won't tumble off and crush him...).

Not too shabby, if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment