Monday, October 15, 2012

Geegey-Puppy

AKA Blanket and Puppy
Last night as we were getting Weston all ready for bed we realized that we couldn't find his "geegey-puppy" anywhere.  Our house isn't that big... and there really aren't very many hiding places for both a blanket and a stuffed puppy dog to fit. Tyler and I went between fits of laughter over how ridiculous it is that neither of us still hadn't found them - and moments of panic because neither of us had found them. Weston would trot around behind us looking around in bewilderment asking "My Geegey-Puppy?" I said a few short prayers in my head - a few out loud - and Weston and I even knelt together and said a very simple prayer. All for this seemingly silly blanket and puppy.
Tyler, Weston, and I looked for over 40 minutes before deciding they just weren't going to be found that night.
As we walked up to bed I tried to explain to Weston that Mommy and Daddy would keep looking, but it was time for bed.  He just kept asking, "My geegey-puppy?" and staring at me with this puzzled look on his face. By the time we were in his room and I started singing a goodnight song to him and he still didn't have his precious blanket and puppy is when it finally dawned on him. The genuine sadness that Weston had, and the real cries of sadness, were too much for me. I gently laid him down in bed and walked back down stairs - only to break down in tears of my own.
Obviously most of my reaction was based off my surging hormones right now - but the feelings in which these tears flowed came from a place that every mother has. Weston is such an easy going kid. It really doesn't take much to make or keep him happy. When Weston has his blanket and puppy he willingly lays down and goes to bed. Even if he isn't sleepy yet, he'll just sit and jabber in his crib until he is. No fussing - no complaints. It's amazing.
Last night it was just the saddest and most genuine cries coming from little man's room. And all we had to do to stop it was find where he had put his blanket and puppy. Not really a hard task, but somehow we just couldn't do that for him.
Last night I slept terribly - in part because this baby inside me doesn't ever want me to get a good nights rest again - and part because I kept having "Geegey-puppy" related dreams. I woke up this morning feeling terrible - the whole time getting ready I tried thinking of places we might have not looked - I came up with nothing. I made another little mention of it in my morning prayers - hoping that we could find it today, so we didn't have to repeat last night.
I come downstairs - check my phone and see that I have some emails. I open them and find that one of them is from Tyler... at 1:03am. It's entitled "My Underwear Drawer". I hesitated a moment... love the guy, but why would I want to know about his underwear drawer. I open the email to find that it's just a picture attachment...
The picture?
Weston found an empty drawer to stash his treasures into. I was so stinkin' happy at this email that I started to cry. And I ran upstairs and tip-toed into Weston's room to find him curled up under his "Geegey" and holding his puppy in a bear hug.
So while I was hoping and literally praying that we'd find this blanket and puppy last night... sometimes we need to learn a lesson before we get what we want. I was reminded that nothing is too small for our Heavenly Father. While asking to find a silly little blanket and stuffed puppy may seem completely insignificant in the grand scheme of things - I knew that it meant to world to our little boy, and that meant that it meant the world to me. I can't help thinking this morning of how often my requests must be seemingly small and trivial compared to others, but I know that my Heavenly Father must feel the same about wanting to help me as I wanted to help Weston last night.  Having this perspective as a mother has given me a deeper understanding of just how much I am loved and watched over by my Heavenly Father.

So sometimes prayers need to be answered at 1:03am... in the form of a funny titled email from your husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment